Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman

Blurb:

A shocking discovery on a honeymoon in paradise changes the lives of a picture-perfect couple in this taut psychological thriller debut--for readers of Ruth Ware, Paula Hawkins, and Shari Lapena.

If you could make one simple choice that would change your life forever, would you?

Erin is a documentary filmmaker on the brink of a professional breakthrough, Mark a handsome investment banker with big plans. Passionately in love, they embark on a dream honeymoon to the tropical island of Bora Bora, where they enjoy the sun, the sand, and each other. Then, while scuba diving in the crystal blue sea, they find something in the water. . . .

Could the life of your dreams be the stuff of nightmares?

Suddenly the newlyweds must make a dangerous choice: to speak out or to protect their secret. After all, if no one else knows, who would be hurt? Their decision will trigger a devastating chain of events. . . .

Have you ever wondered how long it takes to dig a grave?

Wonder no longer. Catherine Steadman's enthralling voice shines throughout this spellbinding debut novel. With piercing insight and fascinating twists, Something in the Water challenges the reader to confront the hopes we desperately cling to, the ideals we're tempted to abandon, and the perfect lies we tell ourselves.


My Review:

UMM OKAY. This book was so much better than I expected. I was initially drawn in when I discovered that Erin and Mark were going to the Four Seasons in Bora Bora - exactly where my husband and I spent half of our honeymoon two years ago. I miss it every day. What's funny is that for me, the "something in the water" that freaked me out were the fish - I used to have a huuuuuge phobia. Seriously, I wouldn't even snorkel. And when I did, I refused to look down for fear of seeing any fish. I did overcome that fear on the second resort we went to during this trip when we did an intro to scuba session, which I LOVED. I seriously want to become scuba certified.

 

ANYWAY. I loved this story. I started reading thanks to Netgalley because I had not heard of it before. Then I told some friends about it and found out it's on Reese Witherspoon's book club pick for that month. So I had a handful of people to discuss with. I loved it. I didn't see any of it coming - it was a slow burn while the story built up but when it picked up it didn't let you go. I didn't see any of the twists coming. It was amazing. Go read it. Go.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for an honest review.
 


My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment