Sunday, June 3, 2018

And We're Off by Dana Schwartz


Blurb:

"Seventeen-year-old Nora Holmes is an artist, a painter from the moment she could hold a brush. She inherited the skill from her grandfather, Robert, who's always nurtured Nora's talent and encouraged her to follow her passion. Still, Nora is shocked and elated when Robert offers her a gift: an all-expenses-paid summer trip to Europe to immerse herself in the craft and to study history's most famous artists. The only catch? Nora has to create an original piece of artwork at every stop and send it back to her grandfather. It's a no-brainer: Nora is in!

Unfortunately, Nora's mother, Alice, is less than thrilled about the trip. She worries about what the future holds for her young, idealistic daughter and her opinions haven't gone unnoticed. Nora couldn't feel more unsupported by her mother, and in the weeks leading up to the trip, the women are as disconnected as they've ever been. But seconds after saying goodbye to Alice at the airport terminal, Nora hears a voice call out: 'Wait! Stop! I'm coming with you!'"



My Review:

And We're Off is a good little summer read for lounging by the pool and letting your mind get lost. I have never been to Europe alone (or really travelled anywhere alone), and how fun does it sound to go on an all-expenses-paid trip right before college to get lost in and explore the picturesque European cities?

This is the gift Nora's grandfather gave her - and she would also be attending art classes in Ireland. What! How awesome. Of course her mom decided to join - the same mom that drives Nora crazy 99% of the time and doesn't understand her passion for art.

I was, at times, annoyed at Nora. She acted like a brat when her mom wanted to tag along - but come on, you're on this trip for FREE and your mom wants to spend time with you before going to college. I get her frustration that her mom is sabotaging the trip, but she didn't need to act so spoiled and entitled, you know? So I had mixed feelings about their relationship and Nora's behavior.

Some of the characters I did think were well-developed, like Nora and her mom. But the rest, I just didn't really know enough about them. Like Nora's best friend Lena. And some of the friends she made in art class. And the art class teachers. I felt like there either needed to be less characters or develop them a little more. I also didn't understand her appeal to either of the boys she was attracted to.

Overall, this is a cute little summer read to let your mind wander. I wouldn't say it's the best book I've read in a while - honestly, I've already forgotten about it.


My Rating:






No comments:

Post a Comment